General Educational Aims
- To help pupils to develop lively, independent, enquiring minds, and the ability to question and argue rationally and to apply themselves to tasks and physical skills.
- To help pupils to acquire knowledge and skills relevant to adult life in a fast-changing world.
- To help pupils use language. mathematical and scientific skills effectively
- To foster respect for religious and moral values, and the rights and roles of individuals, irrespective of their sex, colour, race or ethnic origin, or disability.
- To help pupils to understand the world in which we live, and the inter-dependence of individuals, groups and nations.
- To help pupils to appreciate human achievements and aspirations.
- To help pupils to develop both self respect and respect for others, to enable them to be active participants in society and responsible contributors to it.
Our curriculum covers all areas of the Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum and the National Curriculum, with the Religious Education Curriculum following the guidelines set by the Southwark Diocesan Board of Education. In Key Stage 2, children also learn to speak German.
Children are taught in class groups and sometimes in smaller groups when support is required for particular skills or concepts. Classes throughout the school are taught using both subject and topic approaches. Half termly topics have been set to ensure that the appropriate programmes of study and attainment targets are covered. Although aspects of English, Mathematics and Science are included in topic work, there is considerable emphasis on the teaching of these core subjects as discrete elements of our curriculum. Click here to see the Curriculum Maps.
Aims of the School Curriculum
- To help pupils to read fluently and accurately with understanding, feeling and discrimination. To encourage children to use books for pleasure and to turn to books willingly to seek for information.
- To help pupils to develop a legible style of handwriting and satisfactory standards of spelling, syntax, punctuation and usage.
- To help pupils to communicate clearly and confidently in speech and writing in ways appropriate for various occasions and purposes.
- To help pupils to listen attentively and with understanding.
- To help pupils to learn how to acquire information from various sources, and to record information and findings in various ways.
- To help pupils to apply computational skills with speed and accuracy.
- To help pupils to understand the applications of mathematical ideas in various situations in the home, classroom, school and local area.
- To help pupils observe living and inanimate things and to recognise characteristics such as pattern and order.
- To help pupils master basic scientific ideas.
- To help pupils to investigate solutions and interpret evidence, to analyse and to solve problems.
- To help pupils be aware of the geographical, historical and social aspects of the local environment and the national heritage, and to be aware of other times and places.
- To help pupils to acquire sufficient control of self and tools, equipment and instruments; to be able to use music, drama and other forms of arts and crafts as a means of expression.
- To help pupil to develop agility and physical co-ordination, competence in and through physical activity, together with the ability to express feelings through movement.
- To help pupils gain the skills necessary to use and understand the demands of Information Technology in a changing world.
- To help pupils develop the skills to listen to and communicate with each other, so as to understand the importance of mutual respect and understanding.
Extra Curricular Activities
A wide range of clubs and activities is on offer to all children. At lunch times our Year 6 pupils organise and run a range of clubs for Foundation Stage and Key Stage 1 children.
Before and After school there is also a wide range of activities for Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 pupils. Currently we run:
Tutors from the Sutton Music Service also offer tuition for Stringed instruments, drums, guitar, keyboard, woodwind and piano.